Delaware has recently passed a new law that significantly expands the permissible limits on compensatory and punitive damage awards in cases involving employment discrimination. This legislation establishes specific monetary caps, based on the number of the respondent’s employees, including:
- For an employer with 4 through 14 employees, $50,000.
- For an employer with 15 through 100 employees, $75,000.
- For an employer with 101 through 200 employees, $175,000.
- For an employer with 201 through 500 employees, $300,000.
- For an employer with more than 500 employees, $500,000.
Additionally, the law explicitly authorizes the state Superior Court to order equitable relief in such cases, as outlined under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The law also permits the court to award both back pay and front pay.